"Popcorn" is the nickname we gave to our incredibly active son. If you spent 2 minutes with him, you will easily understand the meaning of the nickname. The Chinese Noodle is the affectionate nickname we chose for our hoped for Daughter-to-Be, who may one day come to us in the LORD's perfect time from China.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Shelter

“He who dwells in the shelter of the MOST HIGH GOD
will abide in the shadow of the ALMIGHTY.”
--Psalm 91:1

Blaine at 10 weeks old

Of all the important lessons I teach my son, one is Paramount: GOD is our Ultimate Security! If I instruct Blaine that his security lies in GOD alone, I believe he will eventually be self-confident, self-sufficient, and yet, self-less. In my experience, when I depend upon GOD as my Source for ALL things, I learn to reap security in who GOD is, rather than in who I am, and what I accomplish. As Blaine’s character and accomplishments change, GOD’S character is unchanging. We can all depend on His Constancy. When hard times befall our family, we can be secure in the knowledge of who GOD is, and His care for us!

Not that this is an easy lesson, and I certainly have not done it perfectly. Spend ten minutes in our home and you will see that, clearly! Recently I was significantly “down-sized” at work. I worked very little (16 hours per week) as it was, but the powers that be have determined that I earn too high a wage to be paid to do my own copying work and such for my classes. (I teach Lamaze and various other Prepared childbirth/preparing for motherhood/siblinghood classes at the local hospital). No one asked our opinion about how our family budget would handle such a cut in income. And so, we eat beans, rice, and soup frequently for dinner. After the dreaded downsizing meeting when I was informed, and for about 4 hours, I did Panic. But I kept reassuring myself that my security is in the LORD. And so I prayed, and Prayed, and Prayed. By the time Mike returned home from work, I was calm and able to see the positive side of the situation… 1) I will be home more at night now (evenings), 2) I will be able to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, 3) We just recently became debt-free except for our Mortgage, 4) I can finally go through the entire house and organize everything, preparing for the next phase of our lives… 4) The process of becoming debt-free has taught us how to live well while “doing without” many things, like Television and Internet at home, etc. The list goes on and on.

In all of this, I have determined that I will teach my son in his early years that CHRIST created him special and unique. He is more precious than the fine gold to his Creator, and to me! I pledge to reinforce this value often! I pray that he will develop an inner peace and security that brings stability and steadfastness. No matter what his peer group says, or what tragedy swarms him, I pray that he will be able to say “NO” when he knows that GOD loves, accepts, and promises to provide for him.



My prayer for today:

Most Precious Creator,
I ask that YOU will help me to instill
a True sense of security in Blaine.
May I instruct him to depend solely on YOU
in all things,
and to dwell in Your Shelter at all times.
In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment