"Popcorn" is the nickname we gave to our incredibly active son. If you spent 2 minutes with him, you will easily understand the meaning of the nickname. The Chinese Noodle is the affectionate nickname we chose for our hoped for Daughter-to-Be, who may one day come to us in the LORD's perfect time from China.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Everything Beautiful

Cats and (especially) kittens are
favorite things for Blaine
to draw
     Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "To every thing there is a season..." (NKJV).  In verse 11 he even added that God has made everything beautiful in its time.  I believe this is true.  I love the words of the Hymn by Maltbie (who names their child this?) Babcock... "This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears, all nature sings and round me rings the music of the spheres." 
      Today is a frigidly cold, gray, icy example of something beautiful in its time.  When I am warm, I can look out at the ice on the tree limbs, shimmering in the sunlight, and thank God for this beautiful day.  Today I had to wake up very early to be at the Hospital to set up and teach a class.  It felt bitterly cold as I trudged out to the car to make my way to work, but as I drove out of the driveway, a cat darted past my wheels and into the woods in front of my house.
      I thought of my darling son, who wants to save and feed and wash every stray cat he sees.  On the way home from school this week, he told me that his purpose in life was to trap stray cats and tame them.  He would be the youngest "Cat Lady" known to man if he had his way, with hundreds of cats being care for in our home.  Currently there are at least 5 being fed twice a day on our back porch, and 2 strays have nuzzled their way into my heart enough that I have bathed them and let them come in for breakfast & dinner & the occasional warm milk ("Bif" and "Theodore" are the names our boy has chosen for them-  cute!)  My sister laughs hysterically at this because I am not really an "Animal Person," never have been.
     As I end this wonderful day, may my heart be grateful for the chance to help Blaine nurture and develop compassion for all of God's living creatures.  Let us all strive to slow down (cease striving, as one bible translation puts it), reflect and give thanks to our most glorious Savior for His goodness to us!

"Be still, and know that I AM GOD." 
Psalm 46:10
  

No comments:

Post a Comment