"Popcorn" is the nickname we gave to our incredibly active son. If you spent 2 minutes with him, you will easily understand the meaning of the nickname. The Chinese Noodle is the affectionate nickname we chose for our hoped for Daughter-to-Be, who may one day come to us in the LORD's perfect time from China.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tip Talk: Save Money by Making Your own Laundry Detergent

Even our seven year old can make laundry detergent with a bit of assistance. 
It saves SO much money, this batch cost us 71 cents and filled up 3 regular-sized
liquid Laundry bottles (at 64 loads each).
Follow these easy instructions:

 


Ingredients:
Fels Naptha soap:  1/3 of a bar
2 Cups of water, boiling
1/2 cup Washing Soda
1/2 cup borax
6 cups water
1 tsp essential oil
Instructions:
Begin by putting a big pot with 2 cups of water in it on the stove
to heat to boiling while grating soap (saves time).

Grate Fels Naptha soap: 1/3 of a bar

(I buy my Bars at True Value Hardware Store.
I usually buy 3 at a time and they last me for about 4 to 5 months of Laundering).
We use the Metal Shredder/Grater that one would use to shred cabbage.
Just be sure to wash it well for next use (if using for food prep).
Pour the shredded soap into the water pot.

Boil the shredded soap until it is completely dissolved. 
 Stir frequently to speed up the dissolving process.

You will need "Washing Soda", and 20 Mule Team Borax.
I purchased the Washing Soda at True Value
The Mule Team Borax is readily available at Walmart.
1/2 cup of Washing Soda
Mix well, then add 1/2 cup of Borax
See how easy it is?
Now add the water...
6 more cups

Keep stirring
The solution will get bubbly and smell really clean!
Now add  - more water... 2 cups
next add 1 tsp. Essential oil- any fragrance you like

This is optional, but I love to add essential oil to the mixture.
I like "Orange oil" best, but this day we were out, so
we added Linen Essential oil (Purchased from the candle department at Walmart)

That's it... Now remove from stove and let it "gel" (haarden) a bit for 24 hours
before you pour it into used empty Laundry container bottles.

I Smile and Thank God the Father everytime I
wash a load, knowing that it costs me less than 2 cents per load!
And I love the way my clothes and towels smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment