"Popcorn" is the nickname we gave to our incredibly active son. If you spent 2 minutes with him, you will easily understand the meaning of the nickname. The Chinese Noodle is the affectionate nickname we chose for our hoped for Daughter-to-Be, who may one day come to us in the LORD's perfect time from China.

Monday, January 17, 2011

All Mothers are Working Mothers




My favorite Aunt gave me a magnet which I placed on my Refrigerator which says, “All Mothers are Working Mothers.” I look at it as I reach for the milk and eggs in the morning to fix breakfast for my men. It reminds me that ‘What I Do’ all day long… cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, reading stories, playing with legos, training a special little heart… all this is Work. A Mother’s Work.

Sometimes I look at “those other moms” in the Black SUV’s, with their dark sun glasses, tinted dark windows, and ear-attached cell phones, and I feel like the maybe the world is down-playing my job as a simple mother. One friend even said that she doesn’t count housework as work (she has a lady who cleans her house weekly). I have decided this year to just focus my thoughts and mind on doing my job as a wife and mother to please only God, rather than to please my friends or others around me. When I do this, I feel a joy in my heart that is unbelievable. Kindness, Respect, Honesty, and non-sticky fingers are all my goals, and ones I want to help cultivate in my son, Blaine. And he won’t get them if I don’t model them. Don’t get me wrong, I have completely messed up many days, have lost it, show my weakness with "a major melt down," whatever one wants to call it. But I have learned that when I DO NOT listen to the negative talk around me (&amp sometimes inside my head), I start to become empowered like helium in a Balloon… developing sensitivity, integrity, and vigor. Willful children are tough! But I know that how I do my job impacts the future! And Eternity!!

May I concentrate on doing what I know to do ONLY to please the Lord, not others.

1 comment: